The Canada Tax Manager will head the Canada tax department and effectively and efficiently manage tax risks and tax compliance where the company is active whilst providing a value added service to stakeholders and customers.
Working with the Americas Tax Director, this post will help define a comprehensive strategic direction for tax at all levels throughout the regional and global organization.
- Executive presence – ability to effectively communicate complex tax matters in laymen’s terms to allow non-tax business leader to understand the risks, opportunities and strategies involved in tax matters
- Leadership, maturity, development and coaching, proactive and decisive
- Creating a collaborative environment
- Building internal and external relationships
- Defining, proposing and implementing tax strategies
- Assessing and mitigating tax risks
- Setting up and managing the tax compliance framework
- Taking ownership of corporate income tax compliance (local and federal tax returns, withholding taxes, etc.)
- Co-operating on transfer-pricing matters with the Atlanta based transfer-pricing team
- Handling tax audits
- Continuous staff development
- Experienced tax practitioner with previous experience in Canada and international taxes gained in consultancy firm and/or from working within a multi-national group
- Detailed knowledge of Canada tax legislation, case law, guidance and best practices
- Ability to draft written position using relevant tax legislation, case law and other guidance
- Proven track record for cross border tax planning and international direct tax management and projects
- Significant experience in negotiating successfully with tax authorities
- Working knowledge of associated technical areas such as basic US taxation principles, treasury and accounting
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability and willingness to travel from time to time
- Responsible for Direct, Indirect and Carbon Tax Compliance for all UPS Canadian subsidiaries, including review of workpapers for all tax return filings for federal, provincial/state and local tax laws and regulations. This also includes ensuring that monthly estimated tax payments are made timely, and all elections are timely filed.
- Engage and provide support for indirect taxes prepared by our non-tax partners. This may include writing and documenting procedures and implementing best practices for our non-tax teams to follow. This may also include testing procedures to ensure compliance in these areas. This includes the following areas of tax but is not limited to:
- Sales tax
- Non-resident tax
- Payroll Income tax
- GST, HST, QST, PST
- Withholding taxes
- Manage tax audits for all UPS Canadian subsidiaries, including review of tax assessments and notices of reassessment are dealt with in a timely and appropriate manner, and includes preparation of correspondence with the tax authorities. This also includes working with external auditors to ensure all tax amounts on financial statements are correct.
- Oversee the quarterly tax accounting and reporting for tax contingencies.
- Prepare tax forecast information for inclusion into the corporate cash forecast.
- Ensure tax registrations are filed and maintained in all tax jurisdictions required.
- Plan, research write memorandum on current and proposed companies activities based on current or potential future tax law.
- Partner with Public Affairs to identify the need for proposed tax legislation and calculation of tax impact to UPS and foreign subsidiaries.
- Design and implementation of effective tax planning strategies to minimize corporate tax liability in accordance with current tax laws and regulations.
- Liaise with operations staff to address tax issues.
- Managing relationships with outside professional firms as needed to coordinate on important tax issues.
- Work with personnel in business development, treasury, accounting and other departments to coordinate business and tax issues.
- Work with region tax managers concerning tax issues in the respective regions.
- Manage and develop a staff of three.
Essential Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications:
- Eight plus years relevant work experience in Big 4 or large multi-national company preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, plus further specialization/certification in Tax.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Tax Preferred.
- Professional Canadian accounting designation such as CA, CMA, and/or CGA Required.
- Strong knowledge of Canadian GAAP/IFRS and US GAAP.
- Must have excellent computer, spreadsheet skills. Demonstrated advanced user of Microsoft Excel and intermediate user of other Microsoft Office software.
- Knowledge and understanding of Oracle systems in order to extract information a plus.
- Must have corporate tax return preparation and review experience.
- Experience managing audits from tax authorities.
- Must have current Canadian and US corporate tax accounting knowledge and demonstrated expertise.
- Must have current Canadian indirect tax knowledge and experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- Big 4: 8 years (Preferred)
- US corporate tax accounting expertise: 1 year (Preferred)
- managing audits from tax authorities.: 1 year (Preferred)
- CANADA corporate tax accounting: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- Professional Canadian accounting designation (Required)