At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About the Role
As an EMEA Indirect Tax manager you are responsible for analysing transactions (and contracts) from an indirect tax perspective to enable key business stakeholders to make informed decisions.
In your role, you will work closely with EMEA tax regional leads (40 jurisdictions) and tax business leads (Rides, Eats, Freight, Jump). Your past experience and detailed indirect tax knowledge will support teams to introduce new products onto the market.
You will also support unique tax initiatives which will require you to work with our regional and global head of tax, policy teams and compliance teams (to name a few).
This is a broad, challenging and exciting role which will report to our Senior Manager, VAT & data analytics.
If you are technically sharp, but have a thirst to learn more and frequently use phrases like "let's do it", "let's try that", and "we'll find an answer" then you will fit right in.
About the Team
The EMEA Indirect Tax Manager is situated in our Amsterdam Tax Team which consists of a diverse group of individuals with backgrounds in consulting, tax advisory, tax reporting, accounting, data analytics and mathematics. The team employs their unique skills approaches to solve new challenges often unique to Uber. The indirect tax manager is the core subject matter specialist within this team and is relied heavily for their knowledge and experience.
What you'll do
- Support product and LOB leads to analyse new models and features from an Indirect Tax Perspective
- Support regional tax leads on indirect tax matters in their respective jurisdictions
- Act as the indirect tax point of contact for all indirect tax matters in EMEA (circa 40 jurisdictions)
- Develop the indirect tax knowledge of other members of the team and key stakeholders at Uber through training and ongoing support as required
- Research, interpret and evaluate the tax impact of proposed indirect tax legislation on company transactions to ensure compliance across the EMEA region
- Support our litigation teams on indirect tax disputes as required
- Support reporting teams on indirect tax audits as required
- Support Senior Managers and Directors on projects aiming to improve global VAT reporting and VAT efficiency
- Assist other peers working on the improvement of systems, processes and controls
- Work with other regional indirect tax managers on global projects relating to indirect taxes
- Drive and support automation and smart data solutions across the region.
What you’ll need
- Minimum of 8 years of professional experience indirect tax advisory
- Degree in tax and/or another related field
- Passion for indirect taxes and a solid knowledge of EU VAT rules (exposure to and understanding of SST/GST systems is a plus)
- Critical thinker ready to problem solve within different areas of the operations and finance organizations
- Attention to detail (being right the first time matters a lot to us)
- Good English written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, passionate, dedicated, ‘can-do’ attitude, owner of outcomes.
- Comfortable diving deep into technical problems and working through solutions with other subject matter experts
- Good knowledge of data management and filing systems.
- A strong tax consulting background - Big 4 or other consultancy
- Knowledge of digital services taxes and other indirect taxes
- A second language