Sage is a global company with a local heart. The market leader for cloud-based accounting, financials, enterprise management, people, and payroll software, we empower the world’s business heroes—from single-person startups to large enterprises. Our people are passionate and positive. We inspire our colleagues to serve business builders everywhere and champion their success. As a FTSE 100 company with 14,000 colleagues across 24 countries, we do business the right way, while giving back to our local communities through the Sage Foundation. Be Sage, build on.
To oversee Indirect Taxes (including VAT, sales and use taxes and other global indirect taxes) for Sage, with global responsibility for Indirect Tax Governance, Risk, Business Partnering and Strategy. Reporting directly to VP Tax and Treasury.
Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
- Assist with the Design, continued development and management of a central indirect tax compliance approach for Sage Group.
- Input on indirect tax implications of systems improvements and implementation. This would involve advising on strong processes and internal controls to manage indirect tax risks and exposures, both in centralised and de-centralised indirect tax operations and building strong working relationships with the relevant teams to create change where necessary.
- Provide a strong understanding of technology and its potential applications within the context of indirect tax for a large, multinational business.
- Consult on the global operations through interaction with the regional Tax specialists and market CFOs/Global process owners, advising on the indirect tax implications which may impact the region
- Evaluate business and corporate strategies and changes for indirect tax efficiency, participate in decision making and deployment of strategies
- Provide review and support of the global indirect tax filings. Assist the Operational Finance teams with the consolidation of indirect tax returns and to provide comment and guidance prior to submission.
- Partner and support the business in advising on the most appropriate Indirect Tax approach to global client contracts and initiatives.
- Identify opportunities to improve indirect tax cash flow and maximise indirect tax recovery and be proactive in implementing such opportunities and getting business buy-in where necessary.
- Effectively influence and support business operations in indirect tax matters, working closely with tax colleagues, business and corporate groups, provide awareness training
- Manage, lead and support tax authority indirect tax audits, in collaboration with local finance teams
- Maintain network of external contacts including advisers and other industry indirect tax contacts.
Skills, know-how and experience:
- Proficiency in English language, verbal and written
- Practical understanding of accounting processes for Indirect taxes
- Process-driven with attention to detail
- Extensive practical experience of operating in or with complex multinational companies (in house and/or with a large professional services firm) including substantial time in indirect taxes (including US sales and use taxes)
- Experience of implementing and/or managing centralised multi-territory indirect tax compliance activities
- Being able to explain complex items in a simple manner having both good verbal and written communication skills
- Experience of complex cross-border business arrangements, preferably including international services
- Strong operational familiarity with financial IT systems and related software applications typically used in the end to end indirect tax cycle
- Personality and drive to influence team members and others across geographies and business units to make substantive changes
- Industry and/or Shared Service Centre experience
- Experience dealing with technology implementations
Technical / professional qualifications:
- Professional Accountancy and/or Tax qualification
- CTA Indirect Tax preferred
Key performance indicators:
- Continuous process improvement
- Delivery of Indirect Tax elements of global initiatives resulting in a tax compliant end state
- Timely, accurate, low risk global Indirect Tax compliance
- Knowledgeable and informed stakeholders
- Tax informed business decision making
Indirect Tax consultancy