Empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more. That’s what inspires us, drives our work and pushes us to challenge the status quo every day. At Microsoft, we also work to empower our employees so they can achieve more. We believe we should each find meaning in our work and we ensure employees have the freedom and the reach to help make a difference in the world.
Microsoft’s Finance vision is focused on how business partnership leads to outcomes and how we drive impact. We do this through our core values – People, Prioritization, Partnership and Protect.
Microsoft maintains a global tax planning and compliance strategy that is administered and coordinated at the Microsoft Corporate level, as part of Corporate Finance and Administration, under the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the Company. This set-up assures proper coordination and implementation of appropriate policies and procedures.
Tax is responsible for Worldwide Tax Reporting, Compliance and Planning as well as for coordinating worldwide tax functions. There are six major functions within the Tax Division. 1) Tax Affairs; 2) International Tax and Transfer Pricing; 3) Tax Reporting; 4) Corporate Tax Planning; 5) Tax Controversies; and 6) Indirect Tax.
The role will involve working as part of a dedicated indirect tax consulting team, supporting the various business groups in relation to existing and future product offerings and ensuring that timely and accurate indirect tax advice is provided to relevant stakeholders within the company. The role will also include provision of indirect tax consulting support for issues related to Microsoft’s multiple indirect tax registrations.
The position will support and provide indirect tax advice to a number of business segments including Online and Consulting Services, Software Licensing, Hardware and Cloud Services in both the Consumer and Business sectors and to all new product lines to ensure implementation of compliant taxation and reporting procedures.
Shared responsibility for managing indirect tax compliance and reporting activities across 50+ jurisdictions in EMEA & APAC. As Microsoft transitions to a new outsourced third party, it is looking to review all compliance activities end to end to drive best in class reporting.
The ideal candidate will be hands on, have attention to detail, strong communication skills, strong analytical skills, the ability to independently problem-solve, be a team player and have excellent time management skills.
- Provide indirect tax advice and support to diverse Microsoft businesses.
- Develop solutions to complex business problems from an indirect tax perspective through in-depth analysis, communication and negotiation with key decision makers in a timely and professional manner.
- Coordinate, liaise and develop strong business relationships with Microsoft Tax, Legal, Finance, Trade, Treasury and International Accounting to ensure that these internal clients are receiving quality and timely indirect tax planning advice.
- Assist international tax colleagues and various business managers in developing tax-efficient business models for new and existing businesses to ensure that no adverse indirect tax exposure is created.
- Evaluate areas where indirect tax compliance could be improved, including collection of data, appropriate invoice methodology and coordinating with IT development teams to implement robust taxing and reporting processes.
- Ensure compliance with specific VAT regulations and requirements in each jurisdiction and advise on any compliance improvements.
- Manage and co-ordinate the submission of the indirect tax returns across numerous tax reporting jurisdictions.
- Liaise closely with the tax authorities, prepare for and assist the EMEA Tax Director in any local VAT audits.
- Advise on any compliance VAT issues with support from external consultants when required.
- Perform, and follow up on balance sheet reconciliations and all necessary VAT/accounting reconciliations.
- Keeping abreast of changes to European tax legislation which could significantly impact indirect tax reporting.
Qualifications and Capabilities Should Include
- Minimum of 6-7 years of specialist experience in indirect tax planning and consultancy, gained either in a Big 4 or MNC environment or preferably both.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting, Business or Law is preferred. Relevant tax qualification is essential.
- Experience of working in a multinational environment.
- Excellent working knowledge of indirect tax compliance processes, from data extraction to return submission and experience of implementing any indirect tax real-time reporting. SAF-T filings in any EU countries a distinct advantage.
- Strong understanding of EU indirect tax legislation, particularly in a cross-border environment desirable.
- Proven experience of reporting in a multinational environment with the demonstrable ability to extract, analyse and review data and to make appropriate recommendations with minimal supervision / guidance.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced team environment.
- Good understanding of general accounting principles and sound commercial awareness essential.
- Proven ability to effectively manage significant indirect tax projects and strong understanding of systems such as Vertex and SAP, coupled with excellent computer literacy skills to include intermediate to advanced Excel competence.
- Must have ability to work on own initiative to prioritize personal workload and to meet deadlines, with strong people management and interpersonal skills and a proven ability to operate and influence at management level.