Grant Thornton is collaborative, entrepreneurial and on the move. As part of a dynamic global organization of 47,000 people serving clients in more than 140 countries, we have the agility and focus it takes to be a leader.
International Tax Director
Grant Thornton’s responsive, partner-led Tax service teams help dynamic companies navigate complexity and grow with insightful, practical tax advice. In addition to tax professionals across the United States, our Washington National Tax Office provides deep technical knowledge and responsive support in local, state, federal and international tax. Our tax services include: compliance, human capital services, federal tax services, international tax services, state and local tax services, private wealth services, tax reporting and advisory, partnership taxation, not-for-profit tax, and mergers & acquisition tax services.
The National Tax Service group is responsible for the delivery of a full range of international tax services for multiple clients in a wide variety of industries. Responsibilities include interacting closely with clients to provide innovative international tax planning, consulting, and compliance expertise; developing and managing staff; working closely with partners and staff on client management, practice development and business development activities; and formulating and delivering innovative international tax planning and savings strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with business owners and CEO’s of current and potential clients
- Effectively manage overall client relationships to assure client satisfaction
- Identify and capitalize on opportunities to sell services to existing and potential clients
- Effectively manage the fundamentals (i.e. realization, utilization, leverage, accounts receivable, expenses)
- Coach, counsel, and train managers, seniors and staff
- Ensure continuous improvement and development of tax professionals
- Successfully integrate industry initiatives with local office strategy
- Drive strategy development and implementation, profitability and growth for the Tax Practice.
- Elevate Grant Thornton brand by demonstrating thought leadership and embracing our marketing and sales programs.
- Promote collaboration between service lines and industries to provide high quality client service.
- Attract, develop and retain top talent for the Tax Practice.
- Ensure the Tax Practice maintains a high level of quality and follows the firm’s quality control policies.
- Identify and capitalize on opportunities to sell services to existing and potential clients.
- Engage in productive interaction and teaming with office, regional and national leadership.
- Use knowledge of the client, competition, market and product or service to expand services to current clients. Serve as business adviser to client.
- Utilize the appropriate firm resources to develop and close sales opportunities that fit within the firm strategy.
- Fully support and implement the firm’s performance management process including individual assessment, project evaluation and coaching.
- Promptly identify problems related to financial performance and implement effective solutions to address financial performance problems.
- Proactively anticipate and stay informed of information related to their specialty including regulations, market practices, trends, economic factors, and risk.
- Demonstrate and maintain technical expertise in all matters related to their specialization.
- Work closely with other key Partners, managers and staff to integrate practice development skills into a team approach for New Business Development.
- Possess ownership of ideas and share new ideas and practices as they grow the skills of the staff and assist in the implementation of our business plan/strategy.
- Adhere to the highest degree of professional standards and strict client confidentiality.
- Attend professional development and training sessions on a regular basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, CPA, or JD/active law license required.
- A minimum of ten or more years of progressive federal tax consulting and/or compliance experience in public accounting or a combination of corporate and public accounting experience.
- Experience in a medium- to large-sized public, regional, or national accounting firm.
- Demonstrated success in a leadership role.
- Experience in Corporate, S-Corp. and/or Partnership returns.
- Excellent analytical, technical, and tax accounting/technology skills with proficiency in US GAAP, tax compliance, corporate consolidated returns, consolidated federal tax returns, partnership returns, and combined state tax returns.
- Consulting experience within Tax system and process improvement implementation.
- Knowledge of CORPTAX, Vertex or ONESOURCE software.
- Outstanding experience in staff and tax management in an integrated client service team.
- Computer expertise including knowledge of tax software and technology.
- Demonstrated new business development experience.
- Ability to manage and develop staff in a highly interactive team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple engagements and competing priorities.
- Ability to work additional hours as needed and travel to various client sites.
Grant Thornton LLP promotes a nationally recognized culture of health and offers an extensive array of benefits to meet individual lifestyles. For a complete list of benefits, please visit www.gt.com.