A Client of Clearview Consulting is seeking an experienced Indirect Tax Director/Manager to join their Tax Department. Based in Baltimore Metropolitan area this person will work as a member of overall Global Tax team. They will manage all aspects of sales & use, personal property, and business licenses for the company. Previous indirect tax and accounting experience, attention to detail, strong analytical skills and solid communication skills will be critical to this individual’s success.
Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 7+ years of progressive responsibility in accounting or tax, with a minimum of 5 years of experience in Indirect Taxation, including Sales & Use tax audits.
- Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate the ability to execute complex analysis and prepare comprehensive, clear, concise and action-oriented reporting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting (strongly preferred) or Finance, demonstrating a working knowledge of indirect tax statutes and regulations.
- Strong working knowledge of ERP/Accounting Applications and Tax Software.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, including advanced Excel skills required.
- Experience with Tax Research Systems (CCH, RIA and/or BNA) required.
- Vertex (or similar software solution) experience strongly preferred.
- Professional certification, such as a CPA or CMI strongly preferred.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal direction/supervision.
- Ability to effectively manage requests with short turnaround times and consistently meet deadlines.
- Resilient in a fast-paced, changing environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Prepare and file sales & use, personal property, business license returns and amended returns. Prepare journal entries to account for accrued indirect taxes and corresponding tax filings.
- Manage indirect tax audits, including pulling necessary documents for auditors, researching various issues to ensure tax determinations are correct and working with the auditor on sampling plans.
- Present, explain, and verify audit findings as well as make recommendations to reduce indirect tax liabilities and/ or increase tax refund possibilities.
- Research and provide recommendations on various indirect tax matters, including due diligence support for major transactions, impact on taxability of customer and vendor transactions, and review of complex contract/purchase order language.
- Monitor changes in indirect tax laws, regulations and court rulings for material jurisdictions.
- Review and prepare journal entries for return corrections, customer credits and intercompany invoicing transactions.
- Review and prepare various indirect tax accrual account reconciliations and maintain account balances in the general ledger.
- Administrate Vertex for the legal entities currently utilizing the system; ensuring rates are properly updated when new releases are available.
- Provide indirect tax expertise to assist others in understanding the tax scenarios around different types of business transactions.
- Continually develop taxation expertise and company knowledge.