The US Tax Team is based in Newton, MA, and supports the five business divisions of RELX in the US. Its primary responsibility is to provide deep technical expertise on all aspects of tax management. In addition, it ensures that the 70+ companies doing business in the US are in compliance with Federal and State & Local tax authorities and are maximizing their tax positions. The US Tax Team is part of the global corporate tax team led by the Head of Tax, who is based in London.
The US Tax Team is a highly visible group, and highly business focused. It interacts in detail with different stakeholders, including our external customers, state government officials, our internal operations, legal, finance, and other groups in the organization.
The Tax Department is a strategic, centralized organization with responsibilities for the company. The Senior Tax Accountant will be a key member of the Tax team, and the successful candidate will bring experience in the areas of current and emerging US state and local tax law. This is a support role and the successful candidate will become highly visible within the organization interacting with business unit finance personnel.
While reporting to the Tax Manager – Income/Franchise Tax, the Senior Tax Accountant will support the US State and Local Tax Team for both income/franchise tax and sales/use tax matters by analyzing state tax information; assisting with tax audits and inquiries, planning and other discrete projects, and external reporting; and, compliance. This individual will work with individuals at the businesses as well as interact with the Global Tax team
Main Tasks and Accountabilities:
Provide support to identify income/franchise planning opportunities that may be available to the Company, This task includes, but is not limited to, researching issues and analyzing information; and,
modeling scenarios to determine state tax impact to the Company.
Provide notice and audit support by gathering information requested by state auditors or agencies, reviewing the information, researching issues, and working directly with manager to respond to such inquiries.
Provide support to inquiries from the businesses.
Assist with reviewing material state income/franchise tax returns.
Assist with financial reporting as needed.
Internal Working Relationships
- Business unit finance, operations, payroll and legal departments
External Working Relationships
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance or JD
- 3 – 5 years corporate state and local tax experience working for an accounting firm including, but not limited to filing methodologies, apportionment, and audits.
- Strong communication skills – written and oral
- Strong Excel skills and financial acumen
- Strong research skills (for example, using LexisAdvance or similar research tool).
- Ability to manage several tasks at the same time
- Experience with OneSource software, Altyrex, and/or Tableau a plus.
- Ability to proactively think beyond the immediate question asked
- Willingness to take on new challenges in areas outside of their comfort zone
- Ability to work well independently, but to also partner with team members and the businesses
- Persuasive written and oral presentation skills
- Ability to effectively and concisely present complex data and concepts
- Competitive salary, based on experience
- Bonus plan
- Excellent medical, dental and 401K benefits
- All business expenses and travel paid
- Excellent training program, to aid in a fast start
- Numerous online resources to assist with your self-development and career progression
- An opportunity to grow and advance within a global organization
- RELX is an Equal Opportunity Employer