Reporting to the Director International Tax, and the Finance Director of Brazil, the Tax Director Brazil directs the operations of Goodyear Brazil’s tax compliance and planning activities, with responsibility to ensure that all taxes incurred by Goodyear’s Brazil operations are correctly calculated and timely paid, and that all Brazil taxes are kept to the lowest level in accordance with national & local laws. This position also contributes to the global tax department’s efforts to ensure Goodyear’s worldwide income tax expense is properly determined, reported and adequately disclosed in its SEC filings and to ensure that outside auditors, senior company management and Board members are properly informed of tax opportunities and risks. The Tax Director, Brazil also plays a key role in assisting the business in developing and executing projects that help to create a highly efficient organization.
Specific duties and responsibilities of the Tax Director, Brazil will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Ensure all Brazil business-related taxes (corporate tax, business tax, vat, customs duties) are determined and paid in a cost-efficient manner and in accordance with international, national and local laws so that all penalties are avoided.
- Defend the Company’s positions taken with regard to cross-border transactions and on tax returns against tax authorities and other regulatory bodies in many jurisdictions. Lead efforts with audits and ruling requests by creating/collecting proper documentation, researching tax laws and preparing responses.
- Ensure that all Brazil’s income taxes are properly accounted for and disclosed in accordance with local accounting rules, US GAAP and SEC rules and that the proper amount of future tax expense is reflected in the Annual Operating Plan.
- Set the overall long-term tax strategy for Brazil, in cooperation with the global tax department in Akron, manage the Country’s tax risks, and communicate with regional & country management & US tax department on tax matters.
- Ensure transfer pricing policies are developed, maintained, and followed that are in line with global policies and tax-compliant in all jurisdictions, and that training and advice is provided to the relevant departments on transfer pricing matters.
- Monitor changes in the Brazil tax laws to anticipate the impact on the Company and influence such changes where appropriate. Communication to appropriate people.
- Identify, develop, evaluate, modify, communicate and manage the implementation of tax planning strategies & products that increase net income and improve cash flow. These strategies include modifications to capital and legal organizational structures and changes to business transactions with customers, suppliers, and inter-company cross-border transactions. They also include analyzing the tax impact of all acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and other reorganizations for optimal tax results.
- Coordinate with Treasury to ensure tax-efficient cash management, including investment, re-deployment and repatriation of cash between the Company and its foreign affiliates.
- Develop tax talent, including development of tax professionals within the business, and succession planning for key tax roles. Ensure individual objectives of the Brazilian tax team are aligned with business objectives, priorities are properly set, advice and direction is provided, and outcomes are monitored.
- Develop best-in-class systems and tools to automate and simplify tax reporting and compliance.
- Successful cross-functional coordination with sales, manufacturing, procurement, IT, controlling, treasury, legal and other departments.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 15 years of progressively more responsible tax assignments, with at least 5 years leading a Brazil tax organization including both compliance and planning. Deep knowledge and experience in Brazil corporate tax laws and regulations and indirect taxes. Experience with tax audits, restructuring transactions, VAT & ICMS.
- Experience in designing and leading project of implementation of tax efficient business models. Preferably this experience is in the context of a multi-national organization with a strong manufacturing presence in Brazil, a country wide sales organization as well as significant export transactions.
- Track record of achieving measurable tax objectives.
- Experience in negotiating financial issues in an acquisition, divestiture or audit setting.
- Strong knowledge of Brazil tax rules and practices and financial accounting rules. Knowledge of US tax rules is a plus.
- Ability to plan, integrate and communicate various diverse tax disciplines into the business process.
- Experienced in building a highly performing team, developing talent for the organization as evidenced by advancement and success of team members.
- SAP experience and demonstrated ability to identify and design system requirements to facilitate a more efficient and effective tax compliance environment.
- Change management experience, focused on getting large groups “on board” with new processes and techniques
- Consulting skills, including the ability to draw on the ideas of key team members and convert them into meaningful strategies and plans.
- Fluent in English
- An undergraduate degree accounting is required. A CPA, Master of Tax, M.B.A., LLM or the Brazilian equivalents of other advanced degrees is desirable.