Benefits at a glance for Full-Time:
- Monday-Friday 8:00a-4:30p
- Weekly pay periods
- 18+ days of Holiday pay + paid Birthday leave!
- Weekly accruals for Vacation & Sick leave
- Administrative, Bereavement, and Educational Leave available
- Low-Cost & Low-Deductible Benefits Plans & Generous 401k matching program.
INDIAN PREFERENCE EXERCISED
Applicants must provide proof of Tribal affiliation to receive Indian preference
Tax Director is responsible to administer the PBPN Tax Department and carry out the functions of the PBP Tax Commission pursuant to tribal law. Director is responsible to enforce all tribal tax laws and regulations. Director may develop policy and regulations to fully administer all tribal laws. The Tax Director will work closely with the PBP Tax Commission and the Finance Director. The Tax Director maintains accurate and detailed complete records of all official actions and transactions within the Tax Department.
- Administer all licensing, permits, tax stamps, etc. pursuant to tribal law.
- Develop and maintain working relationships to facilitate correspondence with retailers, distributors, Kansas Attorney General's office, and the Kansas Department of Revenue.
- Develop annual operating budget for approval by Tax Commission and Tribal Council; process purchase orders and expenditures pursuant to approved budget.
- Monitor and maintain accurate records of all tax transactions, stamping, and report any delinquencies when necessary to the Commission for action.
- Assess and collect taxes from businesses, organizations and individuals, pursuant to tribal law.
- Collect tobacco excise tax, sales tax, and MSA payment in accordance with the Tobacco Tax Compact.
- Conduct audits and investigations and draft associated reports.
- Collect and dispose of damaged tobacco products.
- Stay informed on current status, trends, and changes in tribal tax and licensing laws.
- Submit written reports on a regular basis and as requested regarding assessments, collections, and enforcement actions to the Tax Commission.
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance of Tribal Codes, policies, and regulations of the Tobacco Tax Compact.
- Schedule monthly meetings, and routine preparation of meeting agendas, documentation, and drafting of meeting minutes.
- Finalizing and submitting meeting documentation and minutes to the Tribal Council Secretary's office.
- Remain updated on informational workshops and conferences to stay updated with tax and licensing trends of other tribes.
- Maintain strict confidentiality on all records, activities, and related information.
- Works cooperatively within office, Tribe and other agencies as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
To qualify for this position, applicants must at least meet minimum requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivocal experience
- Three to five years of experience
- Must have a valid Kansas driver's license and be insurable with the Nation's insurance
- Must be bondable
- Must have understanding of tribal taxing powers
- Must possess knowledge of budgeting, spreadsheets, and mathematical calculations
- Knowledge of proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation for purposes of documenting observations and recordings used in the provision of services
- Must be very thorough and maintain a high degree of accuracy
- Must have very understanding confidentiality laws
- Must possess the ability to operate general office equipment, including but not limited to: 10-key calculator, telephone, computer and operating systems, computer software programs Microsoft Office programs, fax/copier machine
- Must possess ability to communicate professionally; both orally and in writing a service-orientated approach, sometimes in stressful circumstances
- Must be reliable, punctual and dependable in order to meet the needs of the department and Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation
- Must possess the ability to maintain an effective working relationship with employee, vendors, Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation and other agencies
- Must possess professional work ethics, manner, and appearance
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situation and documentation
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality
- A record of satisfactory attendance and performance in all prior and current employment
- Bachelor's Degree with emphasis in Accounting, Business, Finance
- Five to Eight Years
PHYSICAL, MENTAL, & ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with others, including members of the public
- Ability to maintain high level of privacy and confidentiality of individuals and families
- Able to read, write and speak English
- Ability to work efficiently in a highly team-team oriented environment
- Ability to work in a high-stress, deadline oriented environment
- Attend out-of-state/out-of-town training periodically to enhance job performance and knowledge
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to have full range of mobility in upper and lower body; be able to reach overhead; be able to work in various positions, including stooping, standing, bending over, sitting, kneeling and squatting for extended periods of time; be able to lift, pull and push materials and equipment to complete assigned job tasks; and be able to frequently lift 20 pounds of weight throughout the assigned workday
POST OFFER CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Background Investigation
- Pre-employment Drug Screening